Club confirms receipt of court papers as legal dispute heads to the High Court
Betway Premiership side Marumo Gallants FC have finally broken their silence after Moroka Swallows moved to court over an alleged breach of contract linked to a failed franchise agreement.
In a statement released by the club, the Bahlabane Ba Ntwa confirmed they received court documents from Moroka Swallows last Friday. The club said the matter is now in the hands of the legal process, and they will not be offering further public comment or doing media interviews while the case is before the courts.
“At this stage, as the matter is now before the court, the club will not be making any further public comments nor will it be participating in media interviews regarding the issue,” the statement said.
“Operations continue as normal,” Gallants reassure supporters
Even with the dispute unfolding in the background, Gallants were eager to calm nerves among their supporters, partners, and stakeholders. The club stressed that daily operations continue as normal, and that the squad remains focused on the job at hand as the season moves into a crucial stretch.
Management, the technical team, and the players, the club said, are fully locked in on preparations and commitments for the remainder of the campaign. Gallants also added that they will communicate again only if and when it becomes necessary.
Importantly for fans, the club underlined that the focus remains on football, with preparations continuing for the upcoming fixture against Durban City on 1 March 2026.
Background: The R40 million agreement at the heart of the dispute
At the centre of the legal battle is a R40 million agreement signed in May 2024, connected to the sale of Moroka Swallows’ Premiership status.
Reports around the deal indicate that Marumo Gallants paid R20 million up front. The dispute, however, is believed to revolve around the remaining balance, which Swallows argue has not been fully settled.
According to Swallows’ claim, the outstanding portion includes tax-related liabilities involving SARS as well as debts owed to players and staff. It is this unpaid balance, they allege, that has pushed the matter to court, with the figure said to have climbed to around R13 million due to penalties and interest.
Claims, counterclaims, and the road ahead
Moroka Swallows chairman David Mogashoa has approached the High Court, alleging that Marumo Gallants breached the sale agreement and committed fraud. The allegations include claims that a second franchise, reportedly offered as security, was later sold without consent.
In the court papers, Mogashoa is quoted as saying the club committed fraud and breached the agreement.
Gallants boss Abram Sello disputes that version of events. His position, as reported, is that money is being deducted from their grants to pay players Swallows previously owed, which he argues should be taken into account in the broader dispute.
For now, Marumo Gallants have drawn a firm line. They insist they will respect the legal process and allow the matter to run its course in the courts, while the team keeps its attention on results on the pitch.
